Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Photos!!

Hi friends! If you're still checking this space, thank you! Re-entry has been interesting. I worked my first full day today after taking yesterday to unpack, do laundry, rest and recoup. I've found myself feeling more welcoming and comfortable with the poor and hispanic people I meet than before (does that sound awful?). I also grew accustomed to greeting everyone I met in Guatemala, so am getting some fun reactions now that I'm doing that here as well. I've also been told by no less than 3 people that I'll probably cry the first time I go to the grocery store, so am putting that off as long as possible.

I've added my pictures to my Facebook page in batches, linked below. Our Vision Team Photo Diary is also located on the Common Hope website and contains 20 pictures from various spots during our visit: http://commonhope.org/visionteamphotodiary/09TS/index.htm

Arrival Weekend: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=111636&id=682196435&l=791a190676
I went with a group of 18 people from Fourth Presbyterian Church to work for a week at Common Hope, an organization that provides people in Guatemala with education, health care and housing services. Learn more at http://www.commonhope.org/.

Monday - Wednesday: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=111846&id=682196435&l=7a21b7b7f2
Monday construction, Tuesday San Rafael, Wednesday more construction and local sights, Transitions Foundation tour and dinner at La Pena

Thursday - Friday: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=111936&id=682196435&l=14491d955a
Thursday was the big construction day, when we assembled both houses. On Friday, we participated in dedication ceremonies at both places, and went back to the Casa Santo Domingo (5-star hotel) for dinner, which cost us only about $35 apiece. Yahoo!

Departure Weekend: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=112154&id=682196435&l=a9ca384c7f
Hiking the active volcano Pacaya, returning to the sublime Sabe Rico, last strolls around Antigua and our hotel under the Golden Arch

I guess I will wrap this blog up for now... although I do have more donations trickling in, so thanks Gregor and Susan! I'll add you to the list.

xo

1 comment:

  1. I loved the photos and the time you took to caption them. I did not know the guard dogs' names, Diego and Fiona -- thanks for your persistence! Great you started a blog to let friends know about your trip, support you, make donations, etc. My thoughts keep going back there. . .
    Dave

    ReplyDelete