Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mom, don't read this one

So I'm perusing my Vision Team manual and just got to the "Security in Guatemala" section. Apparently we'll be well-protected at the complex, which is good, but now I'm a bit nervous about what they'll be protecting us from. We are basically under strict orders to never be alone. After dark, we can't leave the complex. I knew the situation in Guate was unstable, but reading this made it all very real.

"Our Antigua and New Hope Village project sites have walls, barbed wire fence, locked gates, security cameras, guard dogs, panic buttons, radios and cell phones. Access to the grounds is monitored at all times. Our staff is in regular contact with international and national officials in Guatemala including UN, US Embassy, and local officials regarding security. Staff and long-term volunteers stay up-to-date on local situations and potential unrest and they make informed decisions based on that information. Guards and members of the staff are trained in how to deal with emergency situations, and more importantly in how to avoid potential problems. Regular rounds are made at each project site throughout the day and night."

No comments:

Post a Comment