Sunday, June 7, 2009

First entry - Welcome to the adventure!

Dear friends,

I am thrilled to be volunteering at Common Hope in Guatemala from July 25 - Aug. 2, 2009. I've set up this blog so I can share the experience with you through writing and photographs.

Common Hope's mission is to promote hope and opportunity in Guatemala, partnering with children, families, and communities who want to improve their lives through education, health care, and housing. I'll make this trip with a group of about 15 friends from the Fourth Presbyterian Church of Chicago. We range in age from 18 to almost 80. :) I can't wait to make this trip and already wish it could be longer!

Here's where you come in: Common Hope publishes a "most needed" supply list each year, and they ask volunteers (that's me) to bring along these otherwise-unattainable supplies in our luggage if we are able. View the complete 2009 list here.

July's most needed supplies are related to arts & crafts for the school's 2,700 students:
  • colored pencils (12-packs)
  • scissors
  • watercolor paint (6 or 12 colors)
  • molding clay (10 color)
  • masking tape (1" or 2")


I would be so honored to arrive in Guatemala with suitcases full of school and art supplies for the children. If you would like to help me gather items to take along, please contact me for local pick-ups/drop-offs, or to get my mailing address.

If you'd like to help but want me to do the shopping for you, that's fine too! In that case, please make a check out to me (as opposed to CH) and be assured that I will spend 100% of it on supplies for the children at Common Hope. I am paying 100% of my own personal costs and expenses for the trip.

If, God willing, I collect more resources than I can stuff into my luggage and carry, I will present a check for the extra to Common Hope, on behalf of everyone who's contributed to the cause. You can also donate directly to Common Hope, of course, or even sponsor a student if you get as excited about all this as I have!

Watch this space for photos and other updates as the adventure draws near. And thank you for your prayers and support!

Love, peace and thanks,
Annie

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Annie - can't wait to follow you on your adventures. Be safe and carry love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I would be honored to donate. I'll send you a check asap -

    ReplyDelete