Monday, July 27, 2009

Sunday & Monday...

Hola mi amigos,

One thing we've learned is that Guatemalans do not like to have their picture taken, so we have to either take pics from a distance, or ask permission, which sometimes results in a request to be paid for the shot. But yesterday, we came upon some children who actually asked us to take their photo because they wanted to see their pictures on our cameras. I got some amazing shots, but you won't get to see them until I get home as I've no way to connect my camera to this computer. Being without the CrackBerry has been an adjustment, especially as my iPhone friends are texting and chatting away, boo hoo. Actually, I'm happy for the break from technology.

Yesterday morning we met a local farmer, Don Filiberto, and his familia... they welcomed us into their home, and in their side yard live their mule and chickens. Daughter Carmen told us the story of the pueblo, then the whole family led us up the land that they farm with corn, beans, radishes, avocados, and other vegetables. Don Filiberto is also a member of a coffee co-op and we'll meet his American partner later this week. His wife learned how to sew at Common Hope and now makes adorable aprons which she sells.

The farmland is almost straight vertical at times and we hiked for well over an hour without reaching the top. When we stopped under an avocado tree, his family built a fire and made us tortillas, refried beans, and guacamole, FROM SCRATCH. They had carried the ingredients up on their heads while we all heaved and wheezed from the exertion with nothing in our hands. I've never sweated so much so quickly. (We are at an elevation here too, but that doesn't make up for the difference.) We were all dying from the climb, and then we learned that Don and his partners make the trip 3-4 times a day most times.



As we enjoyed our feast, Don told us the story of how guerillas had occupied his farmland during the civil war from 2001-2003. They threatened his life and his family's, and he was forced to bring them food and water each day. In order to reduce suspicion from the military, who would also kill him if they caught him supporting the guerillas, he said the water was for his crops and he carried the food hidden in garbage bags, under a layer of trash. The military said if he was found to be supporting the guerillas his house would be burned to the ground.

I can't do the story or the experience justice in words, especially these hurried ones, but hopefully the pics will help once I get home.

Today we started work and I did construction all day. Usually we will pick 2 different activities (morning and afternoon). In addition we all will do 1 social work visit. The houses we build are all constructed in pieces on CH campus -- concrete floor tiles, walls, and roof. The houses must be built so that they can be moved if necessary (if the family has to leave a certain spot). Some families have moved their houses more than 7 times.... just from laying the floor today, I can't imagine how difficult this must be. The floor tiles were easily 50 pounds.

OK time to shower for a lesson about San Raphael and then dinner.

Please let me know if you're following along :)

xo
Annie

4 comments:

  1. Of course we're following!

    Sounds like you're having a great time and also having some fun.

    Hope you took lots of memory cards!

    Have fun and be safe.

    Love you.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Mario said! It's wonderful that you have the blog and we can know what you're doing. And that you're safe. I can't imagine what it would be like not knowing.

    xoxo
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you get the quacamole recipe :) Sounds like a fantastic experience... I look forward to hearing the details and seeing the pics. Work hard, have fun, and be safe.

    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on your activites...definitely following along, so keep your posts coming!

    Can't wait to see the pics!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete