Saturday, July 25, 2009

We are here!

Hola from guapa Guatemala!

We arrived at 6:30AM and it is now 6:30PM, and already we're having an amazing time. I've got to type fast as I'm on a public computer that others need to use, and the browser and keys are a bit different here since they're in Spanish, but I wanted to at least check in and let you know we arrived safely.

One of the first things I noticed as we drove from the airport to the compound was the number of street dogs roaming around, eating scraps off the street and usually missing limbs, limping, covered in mange or otherwise just looking rather sad. Those of you who know me won't be surprised at all if I come home having stuffed a few into my suitcase. They say this is actually sort of common by the tourists.

We got a tour of the complex and an orientation, had a quick snooze, then hopped in some cabs and went into Antigua for lunch and about 4 hours of exploring. The restaurant where we had lunch was truly one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. After our leisurely lunch, we walked around the town parks and market... they are celebrating the birth of the saint that Antigua was originally named after, so people were out in droves, there were parades and celebrations all around us. The people here are so peaceful and sweet, but it's been a while since I visited a place where they are also begging and trying to sell things to us at every turn. I wore out a new pair of camera batteries today alone :)

We're back now for dinner so I need to run.... there's so much more I wish I could write now but I'll have to save it for later. I wish you could all be here with me to see this!

Love,
Annie

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Glad you are safe. I thought about you and the street dogs before you left. Hard.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on your travels. Can't wait to hear more.

    And...I am also somoene who would be bringing home a dog...they are the best...

    Good luck with the next leg of your adventure and I can't wait to hear more.

    Take care,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete